Digital Maps and Geospatial Data | Princeton University
Secunda etas mundi = Secunda etas mũdi
- Schedel, Hartmann, 1440-1514
- [Nuremberg : Anton Koberger, 12 July 1493]
- Caption title. Relief shown pictorially. Wood engravings by Michael Wolgemut and Wilhelm Pleydenwurrf. Upper right: "foliũ XIII." From: Liber chronicarum, 12 July 1493. Depicts the pre-Columbus world, based on Ptolemy's Geographia. Jerusalem is at the center of the map; the Indian Ocean is an enclosed area; and Scandinavia, southern Africa and the Far East are not shown. Eastern hemisphere (Known world). Twelve winds, depicted as heads surrounding the map, are named as well as major places. A panel of seven creatures borders the left margin. On verso: three columns of Latin text with the third column bordered by a panel of seven creatures on either side; upper right: "folium XII."
- World maps—Early works to 1800, Chronology, Historical—Maps—Early works to 1800, Incunabula—Specimens—Maps, and World maps—1493
- Call number:
- Held by:
- Princeton: Historic Map Division, Special Collections, Firestone Library
- Rights Statement:
- No Known Copyright
Princeton University Library reasonably believes that the Item is not restricted by copyright or related rights, but a conclusive determination could not be made.
You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use.
Princeton University Library claims no copyright or license governing this digital resource. It is provided for free, on a non-commercial, open-access basis, for fair-use academic and research purposes only. Anyone who claims copyright over any part of these resources and feels that they should not be presented in this manner is invited to contact Princeton University Library, who will in turn consider such concerns and make every effort to respond appropriately. We request that users reproducing this resource cite it according to the guidelines described at https://library.princeton.edu/special-collections/policies/forms-citation.