Digital Maps and Geospatial Data | Princeton University
Wind and current chart of the North Atlantic [Sheet 3 of 8]
- Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873
- Washington, DC : U.S. Hydrographical Office, 1847-1852.
- Shows prevailing wind direction by month. Various eds. of some charts. Some sheets lack title and numberings. 1st and 2nd editions lack series designations A, B, C, etc. "The winds are denoted by small brushes, the head of the brush pointing to the direction whence the wind blows, the length of the brush shewing the comparative force." "Eng. by Sherman & Smith N.Y."--Lower right margin on some sheets. "Series A." Track chart, released as series A, a part of Maury's "Wind and current charts", series A-F. Covers the North Sea, the North Atlantic just west of the Hebrides, the Irish Sea, the English Channel, and the Bay of Biscay. The track charts were designed to illustrate the routes sailed by numerous Navy and merchant vessels. Directions of currents encountered and the force and direction of winds were included for each track. For complete discussion, see "The wind and current chart series produced by Matthew Fontaine Maury," by Marc I. Pinsel, in Navigation : Journal of the Institute of Navigation, v. 28, no. 2 (Summer, 1981), p. 123-137. Some sheets numbered individually in upper left margin, e.g.: 1, 2. On some sheets: Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1850, by M.F. Maury, in the Clerks office of the District Court of the southern district of New York. Historic Maps copy has paper labels with sheet numbers on versos. Includes notes and printed track lines for numerous voyages of many different vessels on some sheets.
- North Atlantic Ocean
- Ocean currents—North Atlantic Ocean—Charts, diagrams, etc, Oceanography—Charts, diagrams, etc, Shipping—North Atlantic Ocean—Charts, diagrams, etc, Trade routes—North Atlantic Ocean—Charts, diagrams, etc, Winds—North Atlantic Ocean—Charts, diagrams, etc, North Atlantic Ocean—Charts, diagrams, etc, Maps—North Atlantic Ocean—1847, and Nautical charts—North Atlantic Ocean—1847
- Call number:
- Held by:
- Princeton: Historic Map Division, Special Collections, Firestone Library
- Rights Statement:
- No Known Copyright
Princeton University Library reasonably believes that the Item is not restricted by copyright or related rights, but a conclusive determination could not be made.
You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use.
Princeton University Library claims no copyright or license governing this digital resource. It is provided for free, on a non-commercial, open-access basis, for fair-use academic and research purposes only. Anyone who claims copyright over any part of these resources and feels that they should not be presented in this manner is invited to contact Princeton University Library, who will in turn consider such concerns and make every effort to respond appropriately. We request that users reproducing this resource cite it according to the guidelines described at https://library.princeton.edu/special-collections/policies/forms-citation.